question cross-compiler

Hi,

I am trying to set up a crosscompiler.

Build and Hostsystem ist i386, target mips64-linux.

I downloaded binutils and gcc as source from the current woody-packages.
Building of binutils seemed to succed (I have mips64-* in my build/bin directory).

Then gcc should be the next step according to all howtos I found.

So I did (after unpacking) in the gcc-source-directory

export PATH=~/mips/crossdev/build/bin:$PATH

$ ./configure --prefix=~/mips/crossdev/build/ --target=mips64-linux --with-newlib --enable-threads

This went fine as far as I could see. hostsystem, buildsystem and targetsystem are configured ok.

$ make -C libiberty LANGUAGES=c

$ make -C gcc LANGUAGES=c

At the last step I get an error:

as: unrecogniced option `-EB'

The commandline the makesystem is trying here is (in ./gcc):

./xgcc -B./ -B~/mips/crossdev/build//mips64-linux/bin/ -isystem ~/mips/crossdev/build//mips64-linux/include -isystem ~/mips/crossdev/build//mips64-linux/sys-include -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -isystem ./include -I. -I. -I. -I./. -I./config -I./../include -g0 -finhibit-size-directive -fno-inline-functions -fno-exceptions -Dinhibit_libc -c ./crtstuff.c -DCRT_BEGIN -o crtbegin.o

The problem is, that this executes (according to gcc -v):

as -EB -g0 -v -KPIC -o crtbegin.o /tmp/ccmcigtB.s

As far as I understood the creation of a cross compiler (which is not very much yet), at this stage it should generate executables for i386, which later are generating executables for mips64. Therefore I do not understand, why the makesystem is using -EB and -KPIC, which only makes sense on mips, but uses 'as' and not 'mips64-linux-as'.

Could someone more wise than me could give me a hint, what I could have done wrong?

thanks, Frank Loeffler