Re: [OT] SCSI disk for SGI Indy

Stuart Longland wrote:

> Hi,
>         Comments Inline.
>
> Michael Dosser wrote:
> | Hello dear list members,
> |
> | I'm successfully running Debian/GNU Linux on my SGI Indy R4600PC for
> | nearly one year now. This machine acts as mail/web/shell (-> nethack)
> | server for a few users and is very stable (crashed only once most
> | probably because of ipv6). As the disk in this machine is quite small
> | (2 gigabyte) I'm planning a diskupgrade.
> | Ok, all i know is the SCSI controller supports narrow 50 pin SCSI-2
> | drives. Question:
> | a) Is it possible to use 68 pin ultra SCSI drives with a 68 pin to 50
> | pin adapter? Like let's say the barracuda 36ES2 [0]?
> Yes it is.  You need something like the following:
> http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:82686#Tof
>
> | b) Is it possible to use lvd drives (u2w, u160, u320) with the
> | apropriate adapter? These drives are a lot cheaper than the above.
>
> I'd have a guess it probably is, but I don't know as I don't know that
> much about SCSI.
> There's a whole list of adaptors here:
> http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?CAT:AW7#Tof

These prices look high. A local vendor sells the adaptors for about $10 US, which
I think is $17 AU. I also got a 9GB 80-pin drive for $10.95 from the same place that
I had in my Indy for a while,but since it is HH rather than LP, it was too big for
the Indy bracket so it's in an Indigo 2 now, which supports HH drives. See:

     http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_65gbhdrive.html

Also look on EBay for cheap new adaptors.

Chris