Re: [OT] SCSI disk for SGI Indy

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Michael Dosser wrote:
> I'm successfully running Debian/GNU Linux on my SGI Indy R4600PC for
> nearly one year now. This machine acts as mail/web/shell (-> nethack)
> server for a few users and is very stable (crashed only once most
> probably because of ipv6). As the disk in this machine is quite small
> (2 gigabyte) I'm planning a diskupgrade.
> Ok, all i know is the SCSI controller supports narrow 50 pin SCSI-2
> drives. Question:
> a) Is it possible to use 68 pin ultra SCSI drives with a 68 pin to 50
> pin adapter? Like let's say the barracuda 36ES2 [0]?

Wide SCSI disks work fine on narrow SCSI host adapters, using a 68-pin to
50-pin adapter.

Do not try to connect a wide SCSI disk to the narrow connector of a wide SCSI
host adapter, though!

> b) Is it possible to use lvd drives (u2w, u160, u320) with the
> apropriate adapter? These drives are a lot cheaper than the above.

Yes, I have a U2W Quantum Viking on a UW adapter. Before I got the UW adapter,
I had the U2W disk connected to a narrow Fast SCSI adapter.

> If any of these question have positive answers, what should the
> termination of the drive be (like now without termination?)?

Rule of thumb: you always need termination at both ends of the cable.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds