Re: 3.0 on an Indy

Greetings, and thanks for your reply!

Ladislav Michl <ladis@psi.cz> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 03:22:42PM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:
> [snip]
> > 1) What do people use these machines for?  My guess was a thin X
> >    client.  By default, there doesn't seem to be enough disk, cpu
> >    power or memory to run many applications natively.
>
> My Indy is one of slowest ones (100 MHz R4600 PC), though I was able to
> write master thesis in TeX using it. It is even able to run Gnome :)

Here's what I have:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type		: SGI Indy
processor		: 0
cpu model		: R4000SC V3.0  FPU V0.0
BogoMIPS		: 49.76
byteorder		: big endian
wait instruction	: no
microsecond timers	: yes
extra interrupt vector	: no
hardware watchpoint	: yes
VCED exceptions		: 0
VCEI exceptions		: 0

free
Mem:         43508      41024       2484          0       2344      22912
-/+ buffers/cache:      15768      27740
Swap:        40876      10100      30776

> Once you choose appropriate software (Sylpheed Claws, Dillo, AbiWord,
> XMMS...) it could me used for normal office work.

These suggestions are very helpful -- thanks!  Can't seem to get xmms
working on a sample ogg vorbis file I just found.  I know very little
about sound, and haven't tried any special configuration.  If you know
of a quick HOWTO that covers the SGI sound system, I'd be
appreciative.

What about the video ports?  ISDN?

Also, a number of gnome applets seem to be dying randomly.  Xplanet
won't work, but that might be due to lack of memory.  Certain apps
white out the X background.

> > 2) I'm unfamiliar with the SGI hardware.  The disk looks like a SCSI I
> >    -- is it possible to upgrade with a generic commodity SCSI I drive?
> >    What about other possible upgrades -- can any standard PC hardware
> >    be used?  Any ideas for a 10/100-Base T converter connector for
> >    the built in ethernet port?  Does the webcam work?  What is the
> >    most accelerated X setup for this graphics card?
>
> Go to http://www.reputable.com/indytech.html for hardware informations.
>
> IndyCam doesn't work. Xserver supports Newport XL graphics only (no
> acceleration) http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/xfree86/
> [snip]

Thanks for this!

Take care,