Re: installing woody on Indy R5000-ip22

Brian wrote:
> Actually, I wasn't ever sure which graphics card I had.  How can I tell?  I have KDE running now though.  However, Gnome segfaults when logging in via GDM.  I like that about gdm--you can select another w.mgr. if your default is broken.  (Assuming an alternative is installed, of course.)  I really happy with how it turned out.  A couple questions and comments.

type hinv from the boot console.

> My monitor is GDM-20D11 by Sony and the 8-bit Newport graphics driver works.

At this point, obviously your card is compatible or you wouldn't be running
X-windows ;-)

> What kind of larger SCSI drive could I upgrade to?  I saw somewhere that heat was an issue regarding modern RPMs and keeping below 7200 RPM, is that still true?

Well, there are some hot (generally older 7200 rpm drives). I have a
3-year old seagate 7200rpm 9gb which is only warm to the touch. Check
the watts on the drive specification.

--
       Kevin Rosenberg        |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
  http://b9.com/debian.html   | : :' :      The  universal