3.0 on an Indy

Greetings!  This is mostly just a short note to thank everyone on this
list for the mips port.  I'm a long time Debian user, thus far x86
only.  I just installed 3.0 on one of our old Indy's, and am amazed.
Congratulations to all!

Its been several years since we used these machines with Irix.  I've
forgotten how much x86 hardware has developed during this time.  By
comparison, the machine is of course very slow.  I would like to ask
two questions:

1) What do people use these machines for?  My guess was a thin X
   client.  By default, there doesn't seem to be enough disk, cpu
   power or memory to run many applications natively.

2) I'm unfamiliar with the SGI hardware.  The disk looks like a SCSI I
   -- is it possible to upgrade with a generic commodity SCSI I drive?
   What about other possible upgrades -- can any standard PC hardware
   be used?  Any ideas for a 10/100-Base T converter connector for
   the built in ethernet port?  Does the webcam work?  What is the
   most accelerated X setup for this graphics card?

It may be possible that I could setup an autobuild daemon on one of
these if that would help.

Take care,