Indigo2 extreem, install question

Hi,

I've been trying to install debian on my Indigo2 but no succes yet.
I use the debian-mips tftboot.img to boot, it loads the image and try's
to boot the kernel, but at that moment my Indigo2 hangs (the keyboard
ligts flash and than nothing.) The only thing I can do is give it a hard
reset to get it going again *ouch*.
I get the feeling it has some thing to do with my console settings it's
set to 'g'.
But I can't find out what it has to be set to, I tried unsetting it, same
problem only difrend's is that part of my grafical console goes black before it
hangs.
So my question is: Is it at all posible to install a indigo using a
monitor and keyboard, or can it only be done using a serial console ?
(perhaps there is no frame buffer support for the extreem card, wild
gues.)
I will buy a null modem cable to make it easyer to cat&paste the debug
output I don't have one handy right now.

Thnx,

Thomas Cremers