Re: libgnome32 install failure

On Tue, 2002-11-26 10:35:33 +0100, Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20021126093533.GB27632@bogon.ms20.nix>:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:41:11AM -0500, karlm@MIT.EDU wrote:
> > I'm installing Debian-mips for the fisrt time.  My MIPS machine is
> > a R4600 Indy.
> >
> > libgnome32 fails to install durring the install process.
> > libgnomeui32 also fails, but I believe this is a direct consequence
> > of the above error.
> There are problems with CPU revision 1.7. Could you check your dmesg
> output. If it says:
> CPU revision is: 00002010
> your currently out of luck with the stock debian kernels. There are
> patches from Jan-Benedikt Glaw that work around this CPU bug. I'll cc:
> him, so maybe he posts his current version.
> Regards,

This doesn't look like the "revision-1.7" bug: if it was this bug, he
wouldn't even go that far. Basically, the box would Oops during
executing the very first parts of init...

Apart that, I've not done much since the days where I've posted the old
patch. It wasn't accepted in those times, and a bigger redesign of the
cache-handling routines is to come. However, I'm not yet that skilled to
do that (of course, I'm doing some reading here and there:-), but I'm
not yet that far.

As I noted some days ago on #mipslinux, I might be able to provide rools
for some hacking events near Halle/Westf.  Maybe someone will teach me
some details there:-)

So, there's nothing like new info on the rev 1.7 R4600. Stay tuned.

MfG, JB*written with 'c'*G

   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet!
   Shell Script APT-Proxy: http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/