Re: mipsel/Sid Broken on DS5K/2x0?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 02:08:29AM +0000, The Fungi wrote:

>    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.1-3_mipsel.deb (--unpack):
>     dpkg: warning - old post-removal script killed by signal (Illegal instruction)
>
>    dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>     subprocess pre-installation script killed by signal (Illegal instruction)
>    Errors were encountered while processing:
>     /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.1-3_mipsel.deb
>    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> The above was upgrading from a clean, current sarge to sid. Exactly
> the same result as I got last week. Tried installing sid directly,
> installing sarge and upgrading to sid, installing woody and
> upgrading to sid. Same every time.
>
> Manually running '/var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.postrm remove' doesn't
> produce any errors on my tty but 'apt-get install --reinstall libc6'
> after that continues to produce the same errors as before. Needless
> to say I am reluctant to leave libc6 in iHR state on one of the
> machines in my build farm. Is anyone else aware of a problem in the
> upgrade path from libc6 2.2.5-14.3 to 2.3.1-3 on mipsel? Could this
> be a problem specific to my hardware? What can I do to test this
> more thoroughly? The libc6.postrm from 2.2.5-14.3 is pretty simple.

As current glibcs are compiled with ll/sc unconditionally and woodys
(probably sarges) libc is compiled with sys_sysmips and you are running
on an R3k system i would guess there are bad games running with
ll/sc emulation or branch-likely hacks ...

Probably you need to update your kernel first to a kernel which emulates
ll/sc properly ...

Flo
                        Heisenberg may have been here.