Re: Siemens Nixdorf RM400

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 04:38:33PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 15:25:53 +0300, Ira Liakh <spell@itl.ua>
> wrote in message <[🔎] 20020917122553.GB9285@mermaid.itl.net.ua>:
> > Hello people!
>
> > can I install Debian Linux on Siemens Nixdorf RM400 computer any way?
> > If not, what stage will fail, the way to install (I've had troubles
> > with booting from any drive/LAN) or it's just unsupported architecture
> > to work, or something else?
>
> Well, poor you:-| First of all, it depends on the installed firmware if
> you could even start a successfull boot (Btw., do you have firmware
> floppies for that machine?)

Furthermore, is is no such thing as "the RM400". There are several
models with wildly different CPU and bus configurations, from the
ancient R3000 and ISA bus based Model 05 (one of which it setting under my
desk) to the latest models with (iirc) several R1x000 CPUs.

The only ones ever supported were the R4000 ones with EISA (or PCI?),
if I recall correctly

Regards,

Florian