Re: OT: boot from cd

Hi,
On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:58:35PM +0100, Greg MATTHEWS wrote:
> in an initial attempt to dual boot my indy i decided to reinstall irix from cd
> over my current debian installation and then attempt to put a debian on there
> that will understand irix disk labels etc. however... i didnt get very far as
> i got the following error
>
> swap partition (1) not valid
You already have an SGI disklabel on your disks but the ids of the
partition are not what IRIX expects. I'd recommend to either wipe out
the current SGI disklabel using "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=1" or at
least to delete partition 1 using fdisk.
[..snip..]

> ps i dont suppose debian-mips (sid?) already comes with sgi disk label and
> efs/xfs support in the kernel does it?
fdisk and the kernel know about SGI disklabels. The dvhtool package
might be useful too.
Efs support is currently broken in the kernel as far as I know but
shouldn't be too hard to fix(Garrick Evans was working on this but I
haven't heard from him for quiet some time). XFS (the one IRIX uses) is
currently unsupported).
HTH,
 -- Guido