Re: cdrom boot for sgi

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 11:47:57AM +0100, R.A.Owen wrote:
> The install system seems to start normally
>
> Also I have noticed that the fake volheader has "number of heads" set
> to zero... can use fdisk to interogate this... A SGI boot CD has number
> of heads set to one.

Hmm - Where do you see a "Number of heads" ?

struct device_parameters {
        unsigned char   dp_skew;        /* spiral addressing skew */
        unsigned char   dp_gap1;        /* words of 0 before header */
        unsigned char   dp_gap2;        /* words of 0 between hdr and data */
        unsigned char   dp_spares_cyl;  /* This is for drives (such as SCSI
                that support zone oriented sparing, where the zone is larger
                than one track.  It gets subracteded from the cylinder size
                ( dp_trks0 * dp_sec) when doing partition size calculations */
        unsigned short  dp_cyls;        /* number of usable cylinders (i.e.,
                doesn't include cylinders reserved by the drive for badblocks,
                etc.). For drives with variable geometry, this number may be
                decreased so that:
                dp_cyls * ((dp_heads * dp_trks0) - dp_spares_cyl) <= actualcapacity
                This happens on SCSI drives such as the Wren IV and Toshiba 156
                Also see dp_cylshi below */
        unsigned short  dp_shd0;        /* starting head vol 0 */
        unsigned short  dp_trks0;       /* number of tracks / cylinder vol 0*/
        unsigned char   dp_ctq_depth;   /* Depth of CTQ queue */
        unsigned char   dp_cylshi;      /* high byte of 24 bits of cylinder count */
        unsigned short  dp_unused;      /* not used */
        unsigned short  dp_secs;        /* number of sectors/track */
        unsigned short  dp_secbytes;    /* length of sector in bytes */
        unsigned short  dp_interleave;  /* sector interleave */
        int     dp_flags;               /* controller characteristics */
        int     dp_datarate;            /* bytes/sec for kernel stats */
        int     dp_nretries;            /* max num retries on data error */
        int     dp_mspw;                /* ms per word to xfer, for iostat */
        unsigned short dp_xgap1;        /* Gap 1 for xylogics controllers */
        unsigned short dp_xsync;    /* sync delay for xylogics controllers */
        unsigned short dp_xrdly;    /* read delay for xylogics controllers */
        unsigned short dp_xgap2;    /* gap 2 for xylogics controllers */
        unsigned short dp_xrgate;   /* read gate for xylogics controllers */
        unsigned short dp_xwcont;   /* write continuation for xylogics */
};

Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium