Re: No script to make CDs bootable for mips ...

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 10:29:55AM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 11:13:05PM +0200, Ulrich Teichert wrote:
>
> > [TFTP booting on DECstattions]
> >
> > >But I agree, TFTP isn't really a problem except in uncommon circumstances.
> >
> > Yes, there are cases in which you can't. I have two 5k/240s which have PROM
> > versions unfit for TFTP-booting. But mopd works ;-}
>
> I have created a minimal bootable CD for DECstations, using a harddisk
> image with DELO. This contains no packages, just the loader and the
> kernel with the initrd linked in. I intend to make it available next
> week when I hopefully have my normal internet access again - currently
> I have to use somebody else's phone line...

This works because the Decstations prom interprets all medias
as a stream of 512 byte blocks. Theoretically writing the same image
to a dat tape should work too. The only problem with streaming medias
like tftp or tape is that delo looking for a partition table in block 0
trys to seek there which does not work. Just loading an image should
work just fine.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium