Re: Reading fibmap

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 12:04:53AM +0000, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> > Hi booters,
> > i just hacked a few lines to get the fibmap of an iso image - I created
> > an iso of my /usr/sbin and mounted it on /mnt/loop
>
> An interesting thread popped up recently on comp.sys.sgi.admin.
> The subject of the thread is "Burning Maintenance Stream Releases", and there
> is a lot of commentary on how to make bootable EFS CDs under IRIX, and a
> few bits of linux info scattered.  Worth a read.

I wood prefer not to go the EFS path but rather trying to "fake" a cd
which the prom boots which is a iso9660. EFS is currently not usable
due to the tools needed - I really think the SGI and the Decstation can
both boot from a ISO9660 cd when created with some fake bits and bytes.

I'll try to produce a netinst cd today.

Some problems i discovered is that on the decstation we need a 2ndary
bootloader as the same cd might need to boot on R3k and R4k machines.
On the sgi one can put the different images into the fake volume header
thus you simple boot the different files from the iso9660 image.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium