compiling - which gcc use? atexit problems :(

Hello,

i try to build a gcc and glib from scratch for a SGI Indy R4600 IP22. I tried a lot of combination.
First I installed a base linux system on the Indy. But this was very old (glib 2.0.x and binutils 2.9.x). On the net I found some
information, that you can compile the actual glib (2.2.5) only with an actual gcc. I tried gcc 3.0.4 gcc 2.95.3 and 4 and so on.
But there where always an error with "atexit".

So I set up on a i686 Debian 2.2r0. This had a glib 2.1.3 and gcc 2.95.2 installed. I set up cross binutils and a cross compiler
(also tried many versions of gcc). But here too I have the same problem with atexit.
So I installed on the base system glibc 2.2.5 and gcc 3.0.4 and then again the cross utils.
But still the same error.

Does anyone know, which compiler, binutils, glibc, etc I need on the base system and
which compiler, binutils, glibc, etc (and patches for this) I need to build a base system for a SGI Indy R4600?
Where to get these utils and patches?
gcc-2.95.4 doesn't exist on ftp.gnu.org. I found it on a debian mirror (and so I found this list ;) )

Thanks for any hints

marty