abusing mipsel-root.bin

Hi all,
I've just started mucking around with mipsel-debian, I spent some effort
on the Linux-VR project last year and since that has a working kernel for
my everex freestyle (NEC VR41xx - R4000 core) I thought that getting
debian (or at least the install) running would be cool.

I have taken the standard root image and used this a intial ram disk, i.e.
compressed image stored in the kernel.

First attempts at getting something going are failing just after init
starts, complaining that '/proc is not mounted, no such file or
directory'.

Does anyone have any pointers, I'm guessing that it 'init' not liking the
fact that it's compressed ramdisk, rather than the nfs one it's expecting.

Thanks,
Simon W.