Cobalt Qube2 : How to configure for a kernel compile?

Hi People,

I've got a Cobalt Qube2 (MIPS) machine. I got the base system running
using the disk image I found here:

     http://loco.pocketlinux.com/~samc/debian-cobalt/

Unfortunately, this is the kernel with the broken sys_mips() which
causes many of the binaries to segfault when run.

I have however managed to get apt working and have apt-got a whole bunch
of stuff I need to make a kernel but thats where I come unstuck.

Q1) Which kernel do I use; Linus's, the one on sourceforge or some other
    kernel?
Q2) How do I figure out which hardware I have in the Qube and what options
    I have to set to get it to work?
Q3) Does anybody have a .config file for the kernel they may be able to
    send me?

Cheers,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
UNIX *is* user-friendly, just picky about who it
chooses for friends!