Re: Install report: Woody on a SGI Indy R5000

Florian Lohoff wrote:
[snip]
> > ths@iris14:~$ dmesg |grep baud
> > Console: ttyS0 (Zilog8530), 38400 baud
> >
> > Should work quite well. :-)
>
> It works yes - The problem is that there are 3 party involved in the
> serial console which makes it hard to provide a consistent look and feel
> to the user. First there is the kernel console for all kernel messages
> until "mounting root" and the later coming kernel oopes and stuff. Then
> there is the userspace /dev/console stuff where all bootup message come
> through. The baud rate of the former is set by the kernel command line.

In my case it was the value sgiserial.c reads from the PROM variable.

> I am unshure about /dev/console which might come from /etc/ioctl.save

I assume ioctl.save isn't there at install time.

> via "init". Then there is the login getty on /dev/console which has
> a baud rate on its command line as an argument.

My idea was to set the getty argument to the value of the command line/
the PROM variable at install time. If the installer can uncomment the
inittab line, it can also alter the baud rate value. :-)

At least this would have sufficed for my installation.

Thiemo