Re: Debian Arm / Debian MIPS hardware

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:54:30AM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:

> I'm curious as to which hardware is in active use for the Debian MIPS
> and Debian Arm ports. If you wouldn't mind, can you say a bit about
> your system(s), and whether they are your main systems?

For Debian/mips (big-endian) the main targets are SGI Indy and Indigo2,
for Debian/mipsel (little-endian) it is the DECstation 5000 series.
The Debian installer ("boot-floppies") currently only supports the
aforementioned SGI and DEC systems, but of course you can run Debian
also on other Linux/MIPS-supported machines which are not supported
by the Debian installer - you just have to perform the base installation
"by hand", for example by putting the harddisk into another computer
and installing the Debian base from there.
Machines that are in use with Debian but for which we currently do
not have installer support include for example the Lasat Masquerade
Pro and some MIPS-based Cobalt systems (Cube/Raq).

> Also, when Debian freezes and releases, such as is happening to Woody,
> are these releases mostly/completely in step with the releases for the
> more populous architectures?

That is the goal we try to achieve.

Greetings,
Karsten