Re: Feedback on Indy (r4k-ip22) first install

Hi all ...

a happy new year!

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 09:01:03AM +0000, Harry Dog wrote:
>To summarise, 1) the reboot from the installation menus didn't work.

Hmmm after installing debian, you have to make debian bootable from hdd.
If you had choosen this menu, you will get instructions to set three
enviroment-variables in the maintainance-console :

for me, I had to configure

setenv OSLoader linux
setenv SystemPartition scsi(0)disk(x)rdisk(0)partition(0)
setenv OSLoadPartition /dev/sda

then I had to type linux and my debian was booting from hdd and
everytime, I turn on the Indy, it boots debian automaticly...

>3) by default devices for bus mice were not created which meant the X
>server would not start.

yes .. that's right .. you have to create /dev/psaux with MAKEDEV ...

>4) Initially i thought it was the kernel not having psaux support, so i
>built a new kernel. I tried to do this debian way and although the
>kernel package built fine, the istallation of this package failed
>because it assumed a bzimage was built, however the build process built
>a vmlinux image. Also, i don't think the the kernel install script was
>Indy aware, and didn't know how to make the kernel bootable, i.e. to
>write it to the SGI header vol.

Try

dvhtool -d $BOOTDEVICE --unix-to-vh vmlinux $BOOTFILENAME

where
$BOOTDEVICE is the device, where you wants in copy vmlinux into
volume-header, just in time it is /dev/sda

$BOOTFILENAME is the name of the OSLoader (the same Name in setenv OSLoader linux)

	HTH

		Best Regards

			Jan
--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

----
Jan- Hendrik Palic
Url:"http://www.billgotchy.de";
E-Mail: "palic@billgotchy.de"