Re: [ssh bug 115767] mips and randomness

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 05:08:06PM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> Below follows some interaction I had with upstream with regards this
> bug against ssh (on mips). Can any of you shed any light on this? (an
> answer to the question would be a good start :).
[SNIP]
> > There seems to be a problem with the arc4random code on mips/mipsel,
> > producing the following error message:
> >
> > Couldn't obtain random bytes (error 604389476)
>
> That error is caused because an OpenSSL RAND_bytes() call is failing.
> You need to investiagte why that is happening. Does the MIPS have
> /dev/urandom?

Yes, /dev/urandom ist existant, both on mips and mipsel, and AFAICS
it works - at least it gives me seemingly random bytes when reading
from it :-).

karsten:~$ dd if=/dev/urandom count=10 bs=1
Uöú^@ÿ E,^@10+0 records in
10+0 records out
karsten:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | head -5
cpu                     : MIPS
cpu model               : R4000SC V3.0  FPU V0.0
system type             : Digital DECstation 5000/1xx
BogoMIPS                : 49.75
byteorder               : little endian

karsten:~$ dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=10
Ñ#%x½7¥R10+0 records in
10+0 records out
karsten:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | head -5
cpu                     : MIPS