Re: success installing debian-mips (r4k-ip22)

On Tue Dec 18, 2001 at 12:58:39PM +0100, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 02:24:39AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org> writes:
> [..snip..]
> > > Pressing return on the "Reboot the system" also does not work. I guess
> > > this is a Kernel issue but probably Guido knows more - Just pressing
> > > reset in that case leads to "Unclean shutdown" with resulting fsck. Just
> > > unmounting the /target drives and telling the user to press the reset
> > > button would be a good alternative.
> >
> > This deserves a boot-floppies bug report if it's still happening in
> > the latest.  FYI 3.0.18 will be coming out RSN, so you might wanna
> > wait for that.  If it's not fixed, file a bug, priority serious, put
> > [mips] in the subject line.
> I had a look at it with Flo and it seems that it is caused by init not
> being PID 1 wich makes the reboot fail. From reboot_system.c:
>
> 142: /* Now we send the signal to init and wait... */
> 143: fprintf(stderr, _("Sending signal to `init' to initiate system start...\n"));
> 144: kill(1, SIGHUP);
> 145:  sleep(15);

This code is totally broken when the installer is run as an
initrd.  In an ideal world, we should always pass root=/dev/ram0
to the kernel so we don't run as an initrd.   Regardless, this
bit of code should be calling system("reboot") so busybox can do
the right thing.

 -Erik