Re: success installing debian-mips (r4k-ip22)

Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org> writes:

> after a couple of months of absence i found time to try the installation
> for debian-mips (SGI Indy/IP22).  Everything works as expected, completely
> flawless except the final end.
>
> The installer asks for making the disk bootable which it can by putting
> the linux kernel into the volume header. Then it tells you to set some
> prom vars on reboot. After that it jumps back to the "main" menu but
> the cursor is still on top of "Make bootable from disk" thus pressing
> enter like everywhere in the installer leads to go through the above
> steps again.
>
> Pressing return on the "Reboot the system" also does not work. I guess
> this is a Kernel issue but probably Guido knows more - Just pressing
> reset in that case leads to "Unclean shutdown" with resulting fsck. Just
> unmounting the /target drives and telling the user to press the reset
> button would be a good alternative.

This deserves a boot-floppies bug report if it's still happening in
the latest.  FYI 3.0.18 will be coming out RSN, so you might wanna
wait for that.  If it's not fixed, file a bug, priority serious, put
[mips] in the subject line.

> On initial reboot the "tzconfig" execution fails with a "segfault". This
> might be due to the "R4600" cpu i have thus i dont care much.

This would be a bug in the package with tzconfig, glibc6 I think.

> It never has been that easy to install a Indy - Thanks Guido and all
> the others keeping up the work.

Glad to hear it works!