Re: Freeze Update [2001/11/19]

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 12:06:02PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > many many packages look like they'll need to be removed, notably gpm (on
> > which packages such as jed, links, mc, pdmenu, vim, and w3m depend)
>
> Of course, if gpm is really removed (and it's buggy as all hell right
> now..), most if not all of this stuff can be rebuilt to work without it.

If possible, I would like to see gpm being kept - for Debian/MIPS on
DECstations, running gpm in repeater mode is the only way to get X
running.
XFree does not have support for the DEC VS-XXX-AA mice, so mouse support
works by letting gpm do the mouse handling and deliver a mouse systems
compatible data stream to the X server.

The version of gpm currently in the archives does not have DEC mouse
support, but I have sent a patch to the gpm maintainer which implements
it. An unofficial package with the patch can be found at:
ftp://bolugftp.uni-bonn.de/pub/mipsel-linux/packages/experimental/

Greetings,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>