From: "Pete Popov" <ppopov@pacbell.net>
To: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>
Cc: <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 7:57 PM
Subject: Re:
sel-linux.deb, etc.

Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:

The reason why I ask is that I've spent a lot of time trying to build a

3.0 / glibc 2.2.3 mipsel cross-toolchain and I am still not done.  But,
building toolchains isn't what I want to spend my time doing.  I think

must be more people like me that just want to cross-build their apps.

every one of us spend time building our own toolchains?  Seems like a

of time.  The learning curve is steep enough, not to mention the

time wasted in mistakes.

In the past I've simply used toolchains built by other people.  I would

to continue this tradition.  :-)

So why not download the MontaVista MIPS Journeyman CD and install the
cross toolchain? All of the mvista packages are cross built and the
cross toolchain is quite up to date. The Journeyman CD includes the
native toolchain as well, for those who insist on natively building
packages.  Using the cross tools you can rebuild the mvista packages
easily from the source rpms.  Doing that on a 1.2G x86 cpu sure beats an
old 100MHz 4400.

I'm not sure why so many people are trying to build their own cross
toolchain when someone else has already done it.