Re: Replacing the Console driver

William Jhun wrote:

> Hi Phil :o),
>
> The only problem with pure emulation is writing a good emulator for an
> MMU. I wrote a SPARC V8 instruction set emulator a year ago and stopped
> around the time I had to face the fact that a direct virtual->physical
> mapping would no longer be of any use. (also the semester started again
> :o). Not that it's not possible, but it's difficult and would require a
> mapping with every memory access (being very slow). However, a little
> creative help from the kernel and some creative mmap()ing might do the job
> (you can request a specific linear address with mmap()). If anyone knows
> some good methods for doing this, please inform! (and I might finish that
> emulator :o)
>
> William

:)  yep, you are right - the r3000 core in the mame sources I am perusing do not
implement an mmu
(the playstation and williams standups use "a custom r3000a by LSI Logic" - see
src/cpu/mips/mips.c - no cache mechanism either).

Poking around the mame sources (I've got xmame b13 r1 - ancient really, from sometime
late 1999 I think), it appears that the z180 cpu is the only core that has some kind
of mmu emulation.  The z8k & m68k also have mmu instructions, but those were not
emulated in this version of mame...

I haven't checked more recent versions, but I think recent mess (uses same cpu cores
as mame) supports early macs, so there may be an implementation example there?..

Phil