Re: Problems with an Explora 700

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 10:55:34AM -0700, Sean Kellogg wrote:
> A friend and I were wondering if anyone on this list could help us out.
>
> We recently became the owner of an Explora 700 Xterm and have been trying
> in vein to set the thing up.  From the documentation we have found on
> the web, it appears to run a MIPS R4700 @150MHz processor (64-bit RISC).
> My friend and I both run debian, but on a i386 machines, so we set out
> to find precompiled mips linux kernel with which to boot the xterm.
> We were able to find one from one of the debian-mips ftp servers.  So we
> setup tftp and the kernel image and pointed the xterm at the appropriate
> ip address, turned it on and hoped for the best.  The xterm was able
> to connect and found the file we were pointing at to which it gave the
> following error.

I dont know anything about this terminal/computer so you are on your
own. I dont think there and never will be support for that hardware.

The R4700 was build by QED but i havent got any informations on it - It might
even be a MMU less CPU.

> "Out of Address Range.  File is bad or too big."

Which image did you try to boot any which type of image does the
XTerm normally boot ? a.out ? ecoff ? elf ?

Try issuing a "file" on the original image.

> We also pointed it at files that were no mips kernels, to which
> it responded with error statements like: not a valid image.  Now...
> he and I have absolutely zero experience with mips processors (and while
> we have friends who have written programs for mips processors, they too
> have been of no help) so we turn to you for guidance.  Does anyone know
> what kind of kernel this thing is looking for, and where we might be
> able to find one??  Any advice would be appreciated.

Nope ... Try to get documentation from the orginal manufacturers which
is the only hope to ever get something to work.

Flo