Packages for 'debian-mipsel' are crap...

Greetings.

I apologize (sort of) for the subject line, but after pulling my
hair out for almost 2 days, it's time to post and get some answers
and discussion going. I'm willing to accept responsibility for my
stupidy if need be, but things are not working at all. I have had
some discussion with Jason on IRC #mipslinux about things and he
has tried to help (thank you) but I still cannot bootstrap. I have
attached 2 outputs from package install attempts so everyone can
better see what is going on.

PACKAGE INSTALL ATTEMPT #1
--------------------------
I decided to begin my install with 'libc6_2.2.2-4_mipsel.deb'. I
copied an empty '/var/lig/dpkg' directory structure to the
directory I am building my filesystem in. The command that I invoke
is:

  dpkg --force-depends,architecture --root=/opt -i libc6_2.2.2-4_mipsel.deb

The output is as follows:

  dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
   package architecture (mipsel) does not match system (i386)
  Selecting previously deselected package libc6.
  (Reading database ... 55 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking libc6 (from libc6_2.2.2-4_mipsel.deb) ...
  dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new pre-installation script: No such file
or directory
  dpkg: error processing libc6_2.2.2-4_mipsel.deb (--install):
   subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
  dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new post-removal script: No such file or
directory
  dpkg: error while cleaning up:
   subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
   libc6_2.2.2-4_mipsel.deb

I attempted to extract the scripts from the .deb package and manually place
them in '/var/lig/dpkg/info' and tried the command again, but it still died.

PACKAGE INSTALL ATTEMPT #2
--------------------------
I decided to try to install 'dpkg-dev' just to see if I would get the
same messages or not. The command I used was this:

  dpkg --force-depends,architecture --root=/opt -i dpkg-dev_1.6.12_all.deb

The output:

  Selecting previously deselected package dpkg-dev.
  (Reading database ... 0 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking dpkg-dev (from dpkg-dev_1.6.12_all.deb) ...
  dpkg: dpkg-dev: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you request:
   dpkg-dev depends on perl5; however:
    Package perl5 is not installed.
   dpkg-dev depends on cpio (>= 2.4.2-2); however:
    Package cpio is not installed.
   dpkg-dev depends on patch (>= 2.2-1); however:
    Package patch is not installed.
   dpkg-dev depends on make; however:
    Package make is not installed.
  Setting up dpkg-dev (1.6.12) ...
  dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: No such file or
directory
  dpkg: error processing dpkg-dev (--install):
   subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
   dpkg-dev

PACKAGE INSTALL ATTEMPT #3
--------------------------
As you can see none of the packages install properly. I even went as far
as to use 'alien' to convert a bunch of the Debian packages to tarballs and
manually extract them to a partition and booted up and things worked with
ideas of starting with a pseudo-Debian mipsel filesystem and then simply
attempting to build a new mipsel Debian filesystem. That did not work
either I get the same messages as above.

CONCLUSION
None of the Debian mipsel packages work. I would like to better understand
what is going on here and who is actually testing these packages? Please
bear with me as I have wasted almost 2 days trying to bootstrap. Your
comments and criticisms are very much appreciated. Thanks.

-Steve

--
 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer
 Public Key: 'http://www.cotw.com/pubkey.txt'