Re: Ok, got it booted...

Toolchain update...

gcc still fails to compile with the same error (branch out of
range).  I'll look into it when I get a moment.  Not sure what the state
of mips in binutils is atm, unfortunately.  Until this machine landed on
my doorstep (or came close to it), I didn't pay much attention to ports
other than alpha and arm :-(

Florian, I noticed that you had a tarball of gcc 20000822 on your site and
was wondering what you used to compile it.  I may try to find out if gcc
has "yet another optimisation bug" (which is frequent on alpha) that could
be causing the problems that I'm having.  Guess I need to learn yet
another processor's assembly :-P