Re: I got me a mips too!

Jim> Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org> writes:
>> On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 12:12:22PM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've appropriated a mipsel machine (Cobalt Qube2) here at work
>> > (Transvirtual) on which I'm going to try to get debian-mips running
>> > and help out with the port.
>> >
>> > I just thought I'd mention it...
>>
>> Afaik the Qube2 is "mipsel" means - Little Endian ...

Jim> For sure.  Yesterday, I managed to get Debian installed in a chroot
Jim> environment, and I can ssh into it.  Yay.  Thanks a lot for all the
Jim> work you've done!

Jim> I'm still looking for a gcc .deb though - I couldn't find one on your
Jim> site (or anybody else's for that matter).  Hopefully, I can use
Jim> 'alien' on a mipsel RPM to get something to start with.

Jim> I'm going to look at the glibc issues too.  I worked through all that
Jim> stuff on ARM, so I'll see what I can do with MIPS.  Maybe we can use a
Jim> CVS version of glibc (I think we did that for ARM).

If you're looking at glibc, please work closely together with me - and
read <http://www.suse.de/~aj/glibc-mips.html>.  You need the glibc 2.2
CVS version, 2.1 will never work.

I do have some strange problems with glibc 2.2 on the Cobalt machines,
it might be an endianess issue in gcc, binutils or glibc :-(.  Another
problem is that the Cobalt machines only have Linux 2.0 - and glibc
2.2 for MIPS will not run on such an old kernel.  The headers are not
 compatible at all.

Jim> I'm doing some embedded mips stuff at work, and having an up-to-date
Jim> native compile environment for mips is going to be invaluable to me.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de