Re: Linux/MIPS integration of latest GCC, Binutils & Glibc

 > All,
 > I'm working on integrating the latest GNU tools and libraries for my
 > Linux/MIPS machine (Cobalt Qube) and wanted to discuss various aspects
 > of what i'm doing with fellow travellers.  Right now these pieces don't
 > play well together and although I know have them working I want to
 > discuss various things so I get them "right" (rather than just working).

 > My first questions therefore is "What is the default compilation
 > mode?"  Let me explain.  Linux/MIPS GCC out of the box compiles to PIC
 > style code (even if you don't have the -pic flag).  It also passes -KPIC
 > to the assembler to tell it PIC code is being used (which it fails to
 > turn off if you use -no-pic I also notice).  Unfortunately this doesn't
 > work well with GLIBC which expects -DPIC and -D__PIC__ to be defined
 > when PIC code is being produces (and GCC doesn't do this).  While this
 > can be fixed it's unclear what the "right" answer is - should the PIC
 > symbol be defined?  Should the default to -fno-pic?
I've got some patches for glibc to fix this.  Please note that no
glibc release works without further patches.  glibc 2.1 and newer are
currently unusable for Linux/MIPS.  I'm currently porting glibc to
Linux/MIPS so that glibc 2.2 will run without further patches.

I'd advise to fix[1] gcc and binutils first, this would help a lot.

Andreas

Footnotes:
[1]  Fix means IMO fixing bugs and integrating the patches into the
     official versions.  Linux/MIPS should work without further
     patches.

--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de