Re: Status of Debian on mipseb [was RE: Linux for SGI]

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 10:49:53AM +0200, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Mike Hill wrote:
>
> > As Florian pointed out, binutils is broken and preventing the upgrade to
> > glibc 2.1.  Once this is fixed it should be possible to build working debs
> > for mipseb (big-endian mips).
>
> I guess until then we can use glibc from slink (m68k still uses glibc 2.0)
> with the mips patches

They are in the state of switching to glibc 2.1 as there are working
packages available (Not in the main binary-i386 tree) ... But this
is the way i like to go ...

> Btw is the official architecture mipseb or mips now? autoconf says mips,
> so the gnu arch is mips, the redhat packages use mipseb though.
> I'll be installing my indigo2 probably in a few days...

Its

mipsel	- Little Endian Mips
mips	- Big endian Mips

I have no clue what the 64 Bit candiates are called (mips64 - mipsel64 ?)

I think we will have 3 binary-mips* trees in the future ... Which will be

mips
mipsel
mips64

There will be no need for mipsel64 as little endian mips is mostly used
on quiet small machines, Decstation, SNI RM* row etc ... So we will be happy
to stay with 32 bit ...

As i have been told there are 3 targets (without endianess) in the Binutils.
An "old" 32 Bit and an "New" 32 bit. The New one only runs on R4000 and
up as it uses 32 Bit Addressing but 64 Bit registers as Available in the
R4000 - We should stay with the "old" 32 bit version as there are a lot
R3000 (and R2000) out there ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is