Re: How to request a package python-pyqt6.qsci?

On 02/01/2023 15:50, Soren Stoutner wrote:
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to have the following contents:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

Then run the apt commands mentioned previously to install the packages you
want from unstable.  Newer packages will always be prioritized over older
packages, so it is fine having both testing and unstable listed as repositories
at the same time.
I notices that repos can have multiple version of the same package.
And that it picks the newest from the set of repos. Also allows installing
a specific older version. Thats the same as the RPM world.
Then edit the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list to be the following:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

#deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

I'm adding repos to /etc/apt/source.list.d/<reponame>.list

Then I can do mv to .list.disabled to drop the repo without editing the lines.

FYI in the Fedora world this is built into the tooling.

A .repo file has an "enabled=" attribute. For testing repos its set to 0.

Then to install all you need to do is this.

$ dnf install --refresh --enablerepo=*testing <package-of-interest>

The --refresh does the "apt update" dance.

The commented out line removes the unstable repository, but makes it easy to
add back in whenever you need it.

Barry

Soren