Re: Debian versioning question

On 2023-11-09 23:06 +0100, Hilmar Preuße wrote:
> On 10/13/23 01:32, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 11:52:30PM +0200, Preuße, Hilmar wrote:
>
> Hi Mattia,
>
> > > The upstream minor versions are always determined by letters, so I'm unsure
> > > how to make clear that 1.3.8a+ is later than 1.3.8+. Any hints?

> I just noticed that it is not just a display issue on the web page, but a
> real issue: my latest uploaded was rejected telling me:
>
> Your upload included the source package proftpd-dfsg, version 1.3.8a+dfsg-1,
> however testing already has version 1.3.8+dfsg-8.
> Uploads to unstable must have a higher version than present in testing.
>
> Can we override that anyhow?

No. What's in the archive is in the archive. (Well I think you can ask
FTPmasters to remove something but that usually needs a better reason,
like "it contains illegal stuff").

> I can open an issue at upstream trying to
> remove the RfC files, but I guess he's not really interested in these Debian
> internals. Further it does not solve the issue for this particular upload.

Right this is a Debian problem not upstream.

I think your options are
1) add an epoch (which exists to deal with this sort of problem)
2) wait till the next (numerical) release 1.3.9 and upload that.
   Do releases happen often? This approach only really makes sense
   if you/your users can put up with the old version until a higher-versioned one appears
3) upload a 'nobbled' version number, which is often done to deal
   with this sort of temporary issue: 1.3.8a+really1.3.8+dfsg-1
   dpkg --compare-versions 1.3.8a+dfsg lt 1.3.8a+really1.3.8+dfsg; echo $?

I'd probably go with option 3 in this case. Ugly but temporary.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/