Re: New package: ITP or RFP ?

I think there might be some conflation of ideas here.

1.  Upstream source code for various packages is located all over the internet.  If you are asking if it is OK for your upstream to be on Github the answer is yes.

2.  Most Debian packages maintain the packaging source code on Salsa.  This makes sense because it makes it easy for other Debian Developers to assist you.  Although it it not required, I would highly recommend you place the packaging code on Salsa.

This is how I have handled my own software.  I am the upstream developer of Privacy Browser.  My program source code is on a Git instance I run on my own hardware and is accessible through a gitweb instance at:

https://gitweb.stoutner.com/?p=PrivacyBrowserPC.git;a=summary

However, all of my packaging code is in a Salsa repository:

https://salsa.debian.org/sorenstoutner/privacybrowser

Along these lines, I would highly recommend you use git-buildpackage to handle the creation and updating of the Git packaging branches/tags.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/git-buildpackage

You will see this referenced in some of the documentation that has already been suggested to you, although much of the documentation was written before git-buildpackage was in common use, so it tends to reference older methods of doing things.

Trying to figure out Debian packaging can feel a bit like drinking from a firehose.  Don’t feel overwhelmed.  It tends to take about three months to wrap your mind around it.  And people on this mailing list are generally happy to help you out.

--

Soren Stoutner

soren@stoutner.com