Re: lintian errors packaging Barry's Emacs

Barry,

Figuring out how to package for Debian has a stiff learning curve (speaking as someone who is going through the process myself).

There are a couple of website that collect links to information that might be useful to you.

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/

https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging

The references that I personally found most helpful were there following:

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/developers-reference

(Install the package and then read /usr/share/developers-reference/developers-reference.pdf)

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/maint-guide

(Install the package and then read /usr/share/doc/maint-guide/maint-guide.en.pdf)

Note that this document is considered outdated and replaced by https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debmake-doc/index.en.html but I found it to be a more useful read, even though they share an author.  You will discover that almost all Debian documentation is outdated, because writing documentation is almost always less exciting than writing code.  So, you almost always have to adjust anyway.

Also, if you decide to use Git, definitely check out the git-buildpackage documentation:

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/git-buildpackage

(Install the package and then read /usr/share/doc/git-buildpackage/manual-html/index.html)

--

Soren Stoutner

soren@stoutner.com