Problem with LD_PRELOAD in cowbuilder

Hi,

My cowbuilder setup has been working properly for many years, however
now I have a strange problem with the cowbuilder in one (new) cmake
project:

When building this project, there appear many lines

ERROR: ld.so: object '.' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot
read file data): ignored.

which is unclear where they come from. These lines disturb the output on
many places, which is checked by tests (and these therefore fail).

The LD_PRELOAD seems to be set from the build framework (cowbuilder?);
when I do a

%:
	unset LD_PRELOAD; dh $@ --buildsystem=cmake --

in debian/rules, the package builds fine. However, when I do a

%:
	echo $@ "LD_PRELOAD=" '>>>'$(LD_PRELOAD)'<<<'
	dh $@ --buildsystem=cmake --

I can see the following sequence:

clean LD_PRELOAD= >>>libfakeroot-sysv.so<<<
clean LD_PRELOAD= >>><<<
binary LD_PRELOAD= >>><<<
ERROR: ld.so: object '.' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot read file data): ignored.
[...]

The package itself does not mention LD_PRELOAD at all. So, I have
finally no idea where this could happen. I already removed all eatmydata
mentions to make sure it is not the cause here. It seems that there is a
subtle difference between an unset LD_PRELOAD and an unset LD_PRELOAD,
and debhelper seem to make it empty instead of unsetting it.

Does anyone have an idea? This is not even my own package, but one the I
am mentoring - https://salsa.debian.org/debian-astro-team/elements

Best regards

Ole