Re: how to manage packages that require native acceleration code

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 11:45 PM Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Mon, 2022-09-12 at 10:05 -0400, Aaron Boxer wrote:

> My codec project uses SIMD code for x86 and AArch64 architectures.
> Also, as there are different versions of SIMD i.e. SSE vs AVX vs
> AVX2, the project uses a library that builds multiple versions of the
> accelerated code and chooses which version to use at runtime.

Runtime selection of instructions is the best solution indeed.

Other solutions include automatic porting between SIMD instructions,
emulating atomic instructions, manual runtime code path selection,
manual runtime function selection, compiler function multi-versioning,
glibc hwcaps library selection, runtime binary selection, blocking
installation and blocking running binaries. All are summarised here:

https://wiki.debian.org/InstructionSelection

Very interesting, thanks!

--
bye,