Re: Looking for a new maintainer for the "rush" package

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 09:19:54PM +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> The truth is that I am in no position to verify my identity
> to the Debian project, ever since the time it began demanding
> three signatures of trust. So even if I desired to commence

fwiw you need 2 (not 3) signatures from DDs in the process of becoming
a DD (uploading or not) yourself to proof – as you say – your identity
to avoid identity theft and other trickery by bad actors.

To become a DM you only need one.

(And that is only the common case. There is some leeway in the processes
 if it proves hard, like in the last few years. Your advocates and
 Application Managers are your friends, not some uptight nitpickers)

Neither status nor any signature at all is needed to maintain a package.
You can find a sponsor (usually a DD) who reviews your package and can
sign it off for you – this very mailing list is one possible place to
find such sponsors.

(Having worked with sponsors is another corner stone of becoming a DM or
 DD as they will advocate for your skill both technical and social
 – something a mere signature on a key does not provide)

I am sure you know this already as you had a few sponsors over the years
as can be seen on the tracker overview, I am just mentioning it for the
rest of the audience here who might not all be as experienced.

> for me to achieve that endeavour. Therefore I hereby annonce
> my desire for another responsible and devoted person to take
> over maintenance of "gnurush". This is a piece of software

The standard way of announcing this desire is to either "orphan" (O) or
"request an adoption" (RFA) of the package. You can read more about this
in the developer reference [0] and the wnpp page [1]:

[0] https://debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#orphaning-a-package
[1] https://debian.org/devel/wnpp/

You are also noted as the maintainer of 17 other packages. If you do not
want to go through this process yourself, you could e.g. notify the MIA
team so they can orphan the packages for you as they tend to do for
people who have for whatever reason "disappeared". It is much better for
everyone if stepping down is done responsibly as it avoids lengthy
processes in which people will try to contact you to get permission for
"salvaging" (as previously mentioned in the thread), non-maintainer
uploads and so on.

> I did try my best during a period in time, but now I leave!

Thanks for your work & best of luck in your future endeavours, whatever
they may be – and who knows, perhaps they lead you back to contributing
to Debian again some day!

Until then: Best regards

David Kalnischkies