Re: Dealing with library using upstream version as SOVERSION

Hi Gavin and Andrey,

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 07:24:55PM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> This suggests they don't know or don't care about ABI stability.

Yeah, that's my guess too. On the other hand reading through their, pretty
detailed, changelogs does seem to suggest they keep track of behaviour
changes. This thing is supposed to allow other projects to build plugins
against their API after all so they'd kind of have to.

> > Is it good form to override this in the Debian package
> No, both because Debian-specific sonames are often a bad idea and because
> to do this correctly you need to track the ABI yourself.

Yeah I think I'm just not going to bother for now we'll see if anything
does end up using these libs in the future.

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 03:35:41PM +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> I was just chatting with Andrey and colleagues in #debian-mentors about
> something similar

Let me know if you find any other good options in this space :)

Thanks,
--Daniel