Re: Dealing with library using upstream version as SOVERSION

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 03:54:35PM +0200, Daniel Gröber wrote:
> Hi debian-mentors,
>
> I'm working on packaging [vpp] which installs a number of shared libraries
> that may want to be used by other Debian packages in the future.
>
> [vpp]: https://github.com/fdio/vpp/
>
> However upstream just uses their release version in SONAME which doesn't
> seem very useful.
This suggests they don't know or don't care about ABI stability.

> Is it good form to override this in the Debian package
No, both because Debian-specific sonames are often a bad idea and because
to do this correctly you need to track the ABI yourself.

> or should I conform to what upstream is doing and deal with the fallout
> once a reverse dependency is actually introduced and a new release comes
> out?
Ideally this should be fixed at the upstream side, unless they explicitly
declare that they don't keep the ABI stable.

--
WBR, wRAR