Question regarding adding my application to Debian

Hi!

I have been working on a fork of EmulationStation (the front-end used by the RetroPie project) for around 1,5 years and would like to add this application to Debian. The name of the project is ES-DE (EmulationStation Desktop Edition) and it runs on Linux, BSD Unix, macOS and Windows.

I'm a little bit lost though regarding the process, should I go ahead and create a Request For Sponsor report right away, or should I first get in contact with someone in the Debian Games team for example? I have read the DebianMentorsFaq document but I'm still a bit confused regarding the proper steps to take.

FYI, I already distribute the application as a .deb package via the project website and it has been tested on Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but I propably don't fulfill all the Debian packaging requirements.

The website for ES-DE is:
https://es-de.org

The source code is hosted on GitLab:
https://gitlab.com/leonstyhre/emulationstation-de