Re: Become sponsored maintainer

> Op 09-05-2021 17:33 schreef Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl>:
>

> On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 04:33:54PM +0200, josef.strycek@email.cz wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I would like to become a sponsored maintainer of the Papirus-folders package
> > (allows to change the color of folders), but I don't know which team to ask
> > for sponsoring.
>
> The usual approach is
> doing the maintainer part and find an upload sponsor.
>
> "Finding" an uploading sponsor
> is showning proof of good maintainer work.
>

> > Thanks for answer.
>
> Thing I'm trying to tell is
> to not ask for sponsorship for any work was done.
>

> Advice:
> Care about the Papirus-folders packages, publish the work
> and ask for review and a sponsor.
>
> In other words:  Start

Please note that if you do all the work, there is no guarantee that you will find a sponsor. I had that experience, with a project where I did considerable work to comply with all the regulations and conventions of Debian.
It set me back at least one year in development, maybe more, because those rules forced me to change my normal workflow.
What I found disheartening is that when I contacted developers that sponsored similar projects, I didnot even get a reject e-mail in response.
 Of course having a debian archive in itself can be of great help to users of the program, even if not endorsed by debian, but unless you are friendly with a potential sponsor who thinks that the program is a useful addition to Debian, I would advise against doing any work that you would not otherwise do in behalf of users of the program.

Groetjes Albert