Re: Question with packaging for non-free

Hi,

On 2021-05-21 2:51 a.m., Hunter Wittenborn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently been working on a project called makedeb
> <https://github.com/hwittenborn/makedeb> that converts Arch Linux
> packages into Debian packages. More specifically, it takes the Arch
> Linux build format, PKGBUILDs, and uses them to make Debian packages.
>
> As of recent, I've been wanting to package it for the Debian
> repositories, but makedeb itself only makes binary packages (makedeb is
> also self-building).
>
> As a result of that, I've decided that the best course of action would
> be to publish it to the non-free archive
> <https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive#s-non-free>, but I
> haven't been able to find where I would start for that. I've looked at
> the Debian Mentors <https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/> page,
> but it looked like the guide was written up for people creating source
> packages.
>
> Is there anywhere I should look at, or anyone I should contact?

I'd start by looking at the Debian Developer Handbook / Reference if you
already have a feet in the house.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/index.en.html

 I doubt it's the case so I'd suggest you read the Debian New Maintainer
guide.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

Now, I'll talk only on my own behalf...
Take into account that even if you software may seem pretty useful, it
doesn't mean it will make it's way into Debian distribution. At first,
maybe you shall start by getting yourself known from the community, get
to know people, this way we'll see that you are serious in what you are
doing. You are not the first one interested in giving time or having a
package integrated into the repository. And as we are all human, people
have different reason to do so. Some of them is because they want the
software to be included as it will benefit visibility for their business
in some way, some people just want to do it so they can say they did,
etc. But one thing also is that even if you have done some work, it will
require much work from other developers in the community too. Time is
scarce and rare, so there's not much interest in trying to help someone
publish a package and that the person stop doing updates or doesn't have
the knowledge to support bugs that may arise.

People don't want to end up needing to finish others work, already have
their own.

So there's the reason I say, get yourself known.

I'd also suggest that you publish your package somewhere on a public
server. You can just put the package in a folder and sign it with your
PGP key, publish the public key on a keyserver too.

This way, at first we'll get a first hard test, what will lintian say
about compliance !

As you may have noticed, some software that exist in Kali or Ubuntu will
never end up in Debian. There's a huge reason for this, all the
specifications regarding to build of packages. This way we can also
ensure that the software will build on many architectures and will be
somewhat safe (for example compile flag to protect stack smash).

Here's a start... Hope this help you out.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside