Re: Location for user installed plugin libraries and icons

The user install plugins can vary between very simple with a config file and a couple of icons up to complex with large data >1GB and hundreds of icons.

So, if debs must not touch files in $HOME but is allowed to create files there (is that not a contradiction?) where else could the 'system' files be placed?

Is there a process that allows the deb to 'clean up' the application when the application is uninstalled, in particular any 'install' artefacts that have been installed by plugins? Debs will identify dependencies that are no longer required when they are uninstalled and the system package manger will allow automatic uninstall of unused items if the user wants.

The use of .local and .config is not an issue when installing, but it is during the un-install process that the issue arises. My experience of users is that they know little of the file system and only really recognise 'Documents', 'Downloads' and 'Desktop' as being places where things are stored. I know of users who upgrade phones/tablets/PC's because they become 'slow' due to left over items filling all available disk space. I am hoping to be a little more user friendly than that. The whole purpose of the plugin manager is to allow users to extend the capabilities of the application without having to worry about the 'deb' install processes.

Most of the instances of the program will be installed for use on 'single user' or 'single user account' machines. The cases where a machine is 'multi user' will likely be developers or being 'managed' by ICT people so that will not be an issue. In normal user cases they will use a package manager to uninstall the package and will not go near a command prompt.

Jon