Re: config file name and format change

On jeudi 4 février 2021 22:37:18 CET Christoph Biedl wrote:
> Still in my experience it's
> better if the maintainer spends time on a sound automated solution
> than leaving figuring out the gory details to the users.

This is one of the use cases I had in mind when I designed cme and
Config::Model.

cme can be used to convert the old configuration to the new format. This
requires:
- a model for ser2net configuration that matches the structure of the new yaml
format
- a reader backend that can parse old file

I can help on these 2 topics which should not take more than 1 or 2 hours.

I would also need to create a subcommand for cme to migrate configuration data
from the old format to the new one. (I was actually waiting for a real life
use case to do this).

Once this is done, on top of the conversion tool, you also get for free:
- a tool to check the validity of the configuration (like 'cme check dpkg')
- a GUI for ser2net configuration. (like 'cme edit dpkg')

Note that this cannot be done in time for buster release.

Is this something you would be interested in ?

All the best

Dod