No pushable pushable ssh URLs for Salsa

Hi,

I had no problems to clone from salsa for since the beginning.  It works
on several computers I have.  On a newly installed Laptop I copied all
my configurations from a computer that works perfectly in the sense that

   gbp clone salsa:team/package

creates a .git/config containing

[remote "origin"]
        url = git@salsa.debian.org:team/package.git

as it should be to be able to push.  Great.  However, on that new
laptop I get

[remote "origin"]
        url = https://salsa.debian.org/team/package.git

I closely followed the salsa documentation[1] and did

   git config --global url."git@salsa.debian.org:".insteadOf salsa:

(which created the entry in ~/.gitconfig

[url "git@salsa.debian.org:"]
        pushInsteadOf = https://salsa.debian.org/
        insteadOf = salsa:

So all seems as expected - but the URL is not replaced and I need
to manually change the URL in cloned repositories.  The laptop
in question is running an up to date testing.

Any idea what I might missing?

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/Doc#Canonical_URLs