Re: Questions about buildinfo

Hi Alec,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:48:39AM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:
> > I have problems with the debugging info containing the local build path
> > and the buildinfo. Status:
> >
> > As uploaded, the Build-Path stanza is not part of buildinfo. As I
> > understand it, this is inconsistent with the local build path in the
> > debug package which does exist (and is really hard to get rid of).
> >
> > A plain 'dpkg-genbuildinfo --always-include-path ' does include
> > Build-Path in the buildinfo
> >
> > Using DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS as documented in dpkg-genbuildinfo(1) generates
> > a warning message and does not include the Build-Path:
> >
> > $ DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="+path" dpkg-genbuildinfo
> > dpkg-genbuildinfo: warning: invalid flag in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS: +path
> > dpkg-genbuildinfo: warning: invalid flag in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS: +path
> >
> > $  grep Build-Path ../libcxx-serial_1.2.1-2_amd64.buildinfo
> > $

You misread the dpkg-genbuildinfo(1) manpage, the correct env var would
be

    DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=buildinfo=+path

(in general, the format of DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS is a space separated list
of options followed by their value after the = sign)

However, what you are seeing is likely a byproduct of how your are doing
your builds.  If you run your build in pbuilder or sbuild, the build
would happen in a path starting with /build/, and dpkg would include
that path.  That's done as to not leak the personal local paths which
might include details you might not want to disclose.
However, as you likely noticed, that path is also embedded in some
compiled files; if you would like to remove them you might try to build
specifying (see dpkg-buildflags(1)):
    DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=reproducible=+fixfilepath
We are in the process of making this flag a default of the debian
toolchain.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo