Re: No "linux-all" architecture wildcard

Hi,

On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 17:34 +0200, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> The obivous way to declare architecture-all-but-linux-only binary
> packages was
>
> > Architecture: linux-all
>
> but there is no such architecture wildcard. That package isn't build, also
> lintian emits an according warning.
>
> But isn't that a missing feature?

Yes, but there is also no "mips-all" (mips, mipsel, mips64el) or "x86-
all" (amd64, i386, x32, with or without the non-Linux variants of
these).  They might be used for some firmware or bootloader packages.

> So yes, the only side-effect of there current situation is non-linux has
> some unusable or even uninstallable packages. Or did I miss a sane way
> to keep arch-indep packages out of non-linux?

No, currently we just keep uninstallable packages.  The same happens on
Linux if dependencies cannot be satisfied on all Linux ports.

One can make packages build on "linux-any" instead of "all", but I
don't think it provides much value over some uninstallable packages.

Ansgar