Re: Concerns/problems shipping multiple shared libs in one package

Ross Vandegrift <rvandegrift@debian.org> writes:

> Are there things I should look out for if I try to combine many shared
> library packages into one?  In my case, the concerns in policy section 8
> do not apply (same source, same sonames, and all components libs must be
> kept at the same version).

If all the SONAMEs of the libraries will *always* be kept in lockstep,
absolutely guaranteed, then you can probably combine them safely into one
binary package.  Just be aware that you are signing yourself (and the
package's users) up for a complicated and tricky transition if at some
point upstream breaks that guarantee and the SONAMEs diverge.